Monday, October 26, 2009

Creating a Captivating, Exciting, Powerful and Provocative Presentation

AmanziTel was selected to Oresund Top 10, making AmanziTel one of the 10 most promising companies in Denmark and Sweden. How did we get here? Innovative thinking and the desire to change our market landscape forever with the view of expanding to vertical markets in the future. The selection was made by CONNECT Denmark and CONNECT Skåne, where they evaluate companies both young and mature for inclusion to Oresund Top 10. The selected 10 companies will make a presentation in front an audience of venture capital firms and other investors with the aim of securing grants.

I am preparing my presentation and so far it took me 2 days to get a first draft. I wanted to make the presentation very different from all other presentations that investors have seen in the past. It's a tall order since in an ordinary day a VC reviews about 10 different presentations that makes it around 250 presentations a year so how do you make a presentation that is different from all others. If its not possible how do you create a presentation that won't bore an audience such as a group of VCs who probably heard almost every type of business cases.

I wanted the presentation to be exciting, powerful, provocative and captivating with the aim to convince VCs to part with their millions and give it to my cause. I have enlisted the help of the world's most renown presenters, experts in public speaking, checked with industry colleagues, friends and acquaintances. I got some similar advice, some contrasting tips and pointers. Tomorrow I got to do the presentation to the first set of local VCs and gather their feedback.

I have spoken in front of a huge audience before (tens of thousands), I have met with VCs before, I have presented in front of business leaders, politicians, famous people, industry peers and most of all customers. Does that qualify me in creating a good presentation for Oresund Top 10? The answer is NO, not until I know who the audience are, their current emotional state at that particular moment. This I will only know once I am standing in front of them.

Can't I not research before hand? Yes, I can. On the contrary a person's emotional state at a particular moment affects and guides his or her decision making at that moment. So to be achieve my goals for this presentation I should seduce them :-) and NO that does not include me or an accomplice doing a strip tease... It has to be something better. Got any ideas? Please feel free to let me know.

No comments: